Homeowners realize that if they want to make their houses stand out in the neighborhood, they need to incorporate different materials into their designs. Non-traditional construction materials can make their structures look appealing and have better curbside appeal. They say your house reflects your personality, and if you use an eclectic mix of materials, that will indeed underscore your uniqueness.
Glass blocks, wooden panels, multiwall polycarbonate, and metal, when properly put together with traditional building materials, can create an appealing structure. It may be challenging to incorporate these elements properly, but the results would surely make for something attractive.
One of the challenges of incorporating such materials is their upkeep and maintenance. For example, if you’re using glass and glass-like materials for your homes, you would have to ensure that they receive regular cleaning and maintenance. Their upkeep will help your structure look better in the long run.
Here are some cleaning tips for such materials that you can consider.
Cleaning polycarbonate sheets
If you’re using a polycarbonate roofing system, you need to ensure that there isn’t an accumulation of twigs, leaves, dust, algae, and other organic material on the roof. Failure to do so will result in the erosion of the UV-protective coating on the material.
Here are some tips to protect your material while cleaning them.
- Use a leaf blower to remove all the accumulated debris on your roof. You can also handpick them.
- Rinse the polycarbonate material with warm water to remove any other loose debris, which can cause surface scratches once you begin to wipe it down.
- Use a soft sponge or a 100 percent cotton material dipped into a dishwashing liquid and water solution if you’re only doing a light scrub.
- You can turn to butyl alcohol, methylated liquids, or isopropyl alcohol to remove stubborn dirt and grime for heavy-duty cleaning.
- Rinse the polycarbonate sheets with cold water for best results.
Following are some things you’re not supposed to do with polycarbonate sheets.
- Don’t use pressure washers or scouring pads. While it may be tempting to blast away dirt and debris with a steady stream of water, it can strip away the UV-protection coating.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals. Some harsh chemicals will not dissolve dust particles efficiently, and when you wipe them, it will scratch the surface instead.
Cleaning glass blocks and similar materials
While glass blocks and exterior glass railings are durable, there are still things that can scratch them and make them lose their appeal. Here are some tips for cleaning them efficiently.
- Clean the surface regularly using hot or lukewarm water and the appropriate wiping tool.
- You can use diluted white vinegar or a commercial glass cleaner for a streak-free finish.
- If your glass gets stained, you can use mineral spirits or toluene to remove them.
- Regularly check the fittings and fixtures to ensure stability.
Glass and glass-like materials are a great addition to your house design. However, you must know how to properly maintain them to ensure that they continue to make your structure appealing.